Thursday 21 January 2010

beginnings

So I guess I should start this by giving an idea of our journey so far.
It feels like its been a long one already and I fear it may go on for sometime yet.
We have been married for 4 years and have been trying for a baby for over 3 years now. I always thought I'd have a problem getting pregnant, like I knew deep down inside it wasn't going to be easy. So we started the 'journey' earlier than I would have maybe liked to. I was at an important part of my life and nearing the end of my degree, but just thought if it happens it happens. Of course it never did happen and as time went by I feared my gut feeling was correct.
I went to see my GP who referred me on to see a gynaecologist. They ran some basic blood tests and arranged a scan, things which could have been arranged by my GP whilst I was waiting. By the time I had all this done and had a follow up it had been a year. I was told I had polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) - no shit sherlock - my odd mentsrual cycle and increase in body hair told me that. I was given clomid to induce ovulation and sent on my way. 6 months and regular cycles with raging moods later I was still not pregnant. Hubby had a fantastic sperm result, so at least one of us was doing good!
They then decided to do a hysterpsalpingogram (HSG) to check my tubes and uterus, this showed that yes I did have them, and they looked normal.
I was then told there was nothing more that could be done and that we would be referred onto the local fertility clinic. Another year went by and I decided to start looking into alternative therapies, while we were on the IVF waiting list.
I was determined we wouldn't have to have that treatment, I didn't want it to come to that, it seems so final and if that doesn't work, what happens next?
And so the next chapter began.......

No comments:

Post a Comment